Friday, September 17, 2004

Archilochus colubris

The ruby-throated hummingbird is the only hummer species found east of the Mississippi. Those folks in the southwest have sixteen (!) plus to enjoy, but I'm happy to get a glimpse of a ruby-throat once in a while. I attempted to maintain a hummingbird feeding station this year, but I admit I was too lackadaisical about it and I finally took the feeder down. When it comes to attracting hummers, often the surroundings are more important than the feeder. They love flowers and other enticements. Our yard can only be described as "mucky" and it is difficult to take much interest in improving it, as we are, after all, renting. I'll do better next year (hmm, did I say that last year?).

Hummingbirds in the hand are eerie--unlike many species, which squirm and bite, it seems like hummers look you right in the eye--and they often give a high-pitched sigh that just sends chills up my spine. I'm not advanced enough to handle hummers yet--I've only watched others--but they cast quite a spell.

Amazingly, ruby-throats fly over the Gulf of Mexico during their fall migration. The best explanation I've heard for how they do it equated migrating birds with "aerial plankton"; they ride the air currents, which helpfully are moving south in the fall and north in the spring (awesome).

Now, I know that a few posts ago I wrote, "come on Ivan," in a plea for some rain. Well, Ivan is almost here, and we do need the rain, but I am worried about my beloved migrants. I remember as a kid thinking that wild creatures were invincible to the elements--unfortunately that isn't true. Here's a sobering excerpt from "Migration of Birds" (see the link to the right):

"Storms
Of all the hazards confronting birds in migration, storms are one of the most dangerous. Birds that cross broad stretches of water can confront headwinds associated with a storm, become exhausted, and fall into the waves. Such a catastrophe was once seen from the deck of a vessel in the Gulf of Mexico, 30 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi River. Great numbers of migrating birds, chiefly warblers, were nearing land after having accomplished nearly 95 percent of their long flight when, caught by a "norther" against which they were unable to make headway, hundreds were forced into the waters of the Gulf and drowned. A sudden drop in temperature accompanied by a snowfall can cause a similar effect."

Folks have asked me before why migratory bird conservation is even an issue. "Aren't there enough to go around?" Well folks, those birds have already got their hands (or should I say bills?) plenty full without having to worry about habitat loss, pollution, and flying into buildings and towers.

Supposedly two tropical storms are closely following Ivan’s tail. Meanwhile the fall migration is in full swing. I’m afraid that the hurricane season is shaping up to be a tough one for our feathered friends. Wish them luck. They need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home